Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Avatar: A Compromised Movie

I finally got around to watching the movie, "Avatar," which is currently considered the best movie ever, or at least that's what the commercials say. I have heard a lot of people tell me how good it is, but I have also heard some bad reviews. Naturally, I wanted to see it for myself. So my wife and I watched it last night without the kids, as we do with any movie that we are unsure of. After seeing it, I now know why Christian movie reviewers issued serious warnings to families. I'm not going to say that Christian parents should think twice before letting their kids watch this movie; I'm going to say that Christian parents should have their heads examined if they know what's in this movie and then let their kids watch it anyway. Now before you get mad, let me tell you why I say that.

Do you remember the old spy movies, where a secret agent is sent in on a mission of national security or some such thing? Invariably in those movies something goes badly wrong and the spy contacts his superiors to report that the mission has been compromised. Well, Avatar has all the makings of a great movie for all ages, complete with a grand adventure, a moral lesson, spectacular special effects, and edge-of-your-seat action, but this movie has been compromised.

For example, curse words were sprinkled throughout the entire movie, including the repeated use of God's name in the worst possible way, not to mention the use of the name of Jesus as an expletive on more than one occasion. And if that were not enough, the very human-like, alien natives were barely clothed, especially the females whose breasts were almost completely exposed and visible in many scenes. There was also the scene that stopped just short of showing two aliens mating.

This may not seem like something that would compromise a movie to those who aren't Christians, but it should be considered compromise by a follower of Christ! Anything that serves to compromise our values and beliefs is a compromise to watch or hear. The old adage is very true that says, "Garbage in means garbage out!" The Bible says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2, NKJV). The Bible also says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things" (Philippians 4:8, ESV). Not only are we supposed to act differently as Christians, we are supposed to think differently as well. After watching a movie like "Avatar," I felt like I needed to wash my ears out! I'll never watch it again because I don't want it to influence my thinking or my actions, and I'll never let my kids watch it for the same reason.

Now I'm not saying that we should shelter our kids from the world around them, but rather guard and mold our children so that they can have a Christian impact on the world around them. I want for my kids what God wants for all of His children: "...be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil" (Romans 16:19, NKJV), or in other words, "know more about what is good and know hardly anything about what is wrong!" Christian parents need to be praying for their kids in the way that Jesus prayed for us, saying, "I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world" (John 17:15-18, NKJV).

One of these days, my kids are going to be going out into this world on their own. That is a fact that I fear, but must face and prepare for. While there's still time, I want to equip my children for that moment so that when it comes, their mission will not be compromised. My prayer and my plea is that all Christian parents will do the same. Sometimes that decision can be as simple as what you let them watch on the television. Don't give your kids a compromised movie; give them a sanctified life for their good and the glory of God!